A Commitment to Conserve Water
At Work or at Home, There are Always
More Ways to Conserve Water.
At Zero Flush, our products don’t just conserve water…we’ve eliminated the need for water to flush or clean our urinals. That’s both our commitment and practice.
Then there’s the global picture. One that has inspired us to do more, just as we hope it will for you:
- More than a billion people—almost one-fifth of the world’s population—lack access to safe drinking water, and 40 percent lack access to basic sanitation.
- 97.5% of all water on Earth is salt water, leaving only 2.5% as fresh water.
- Nearly 70% of that fresh water is frozen in the icecaps of Antarctica and Greenland; most of the remainder is present as soil moisture, or lies in deep underground aquifers as groundwater not accessible to human use.
- Less than 1% of the world's fresh water is accessible for direct human uses. This is the water found in lakes, rivers, reservoirs and those underground sources that are shallow enough to be tapped at an affordable cost. Only this amount is regularly renewed by rain and snowfall, and is therefore available on a sustainable basis.
And with exploding human population growth, especially in poor countries, these finite supplies get quickly spoken for. Further, in places without proper sanitation, water can become tainted with any number of diseases and parasites.
Billions of People Lack Clean Water
According to the World Bank, as many as two billion people lack adequate sanitation facilities to protect them from water-borne disease, while a billion lack access to clean water altogether. According to the United Nations, 95% of the world’s cities still dump raw sewage into their water supplies.
Personal Action to Conserve Water Resources
As individuals, we can all reign in our own water use to help conserve what is becoming an ever more precious resource. We can hold off on watering our lawns in times of drought. And when it does rain, we can gather gutter water in barrels to feed garden hoses and sprinklers. We can turn off the faucet while we brush our teeth or shave, and take shorter showers. Doing more with less is the first and easiest step along the path toward water security.
Problematic, But Far From Hopeless
On the good news side of the street, improved management techniques have already saved nearly 5% of the water used annually in global agricultural production, according to Unesco. Between August and October, 2008, residents of Union County, North Carolina decreased water consumption by 48% from the year before…simply because they heeded the call of state governor Mike Easley.
There are hundreds of success stories like these taking place every day, all over the world. But consider it a good start, and not a happy ending.
Zero Flush is doing its part, and we urge you to do the same.
Click here to send an email.